Monday, January 11, 2010

Austin Anniversary Trip: Day 2

Day 2 of our trip we slept in late - which was very nice after all of the holiday stuff! After getting ready, we went to Freebirds for lunch (one of our all-time favorites), and then we were on our way to the state capitol for a tour! I haven't been inside since I was a little girl and Casey hasn't been in years either. He said he never went inside in all the years he lived in Austin for college. Surprising to me! So we had a nice little tour of the capitol where we saw the Texas House of Representatives and the Texas Senate Chambers.

After that we went to the Harry Ransom Center to see one of the only, original, and complete Gutenberg Bibles, the first photograph ever taken, and the Edgar Allan Poe exhibit. It was very interesting and we stayed 'til it closed!

After that we used the movie gift card my mom got us for our anniversary and went to see Sherlock Holmes! It was very good! Casey liked it because it was "artsy." I liked the plot. :)

After the movie we went to famous Amy's Ice cream - it was very good! I would explain it as the Freebirds of ice cream - the people working there are eclectic...and they throw the ice cream around as they are making it for you. :) It was good.

Here are some pictures from our 2nd day in Austin!





The beautiful dome inside of the capitol!


One of the chambers inside of the capitol


Now at the Ransom Center....



While I was there I was just thinking about how much we owe this guy! I mean, without him, we might not even have the Bible in English! Way to invent the printing press Johannes Gutenberg!! :)



It's funny that this is the first picture - you can't even really see anything. They had a drawing beside it so you can see what it use to look like. It's a picture of the backyard from someone's terrace.




I loved this part of the museum! I love Edgar Allan Poe! I read his stuff in high school a lot, and really enjoyed it (even though he's so morbid)!


Casey throwing up the horns in front of the UT tower - this was just a few steps away from our hotel!



I like the coloring on this one:)



Me with the capitol building in the background - that building on the right is our hotel:)



The menu at Amy's Ice cream! Some of them were very funny!



The beautiful capitol at night! :)


Well, that's it for day 2 of our anniversary trip!
Hope you all are having a marvelous Monday!! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freebirds and Amy's Ice Cream, I am very jealous.

The Hennagans said...

sounds like you guys had a great anniversary trip. i really like all the new pictures with captions on them! :)

Beverly said...

I don't think we've ever even had Amy's Ice Cream. Why not, Casey? So, you wouldn't ever take your loving paretns there who paid for your WHOLE college education? ha
Lauren, your blog should win some kind of awards for best blog. It is beautiful!!
I think we have graudation pictures of Casey in his robe in that same spot, not sure. Very neat!