Monday, February 23, 2009

TAKS Training

Today I had a TAKS training after school.

I cannot BELIEVE all the silly things they make you do/not do on TAKS day. I was almost laughing out loud in my seat. But I didn't dare because it is so "serious." Ha ha. I have no idea how anyone can take that silly stuff seriously though. It is absolutely ridiculous.

It is so funny that if a kid falls asleep there is a "statement" that I am supposed to read to them. If they don't bubble in their answers--another written, formal statement that I read to them. Question about the test-statement. Bathroom break-statement. Kid asks to sharpen their pencil-statement.

Blah blah blah-statement.

Apparently I am not allowed to say ANYTHING that is not already written down for me to say. Our computers HAVE to be off the entire day after we've taken attendance, and we have to sit at the lunch table in the cafeteria with them the day of the test. They are not allowed to say ANYTHING to each other. Poor kids. I would hate school, too, if I had had to do this when I was younger. Fortunately the state wasn't crazy back then. Ha!

Our first TAKS test day is Tuesday (one week from tomorrow), and I can already tell that my principal is stressed out. It is crazy what this test does to students, teachers, administrators and parents. I'm starting to think it does more harm than good.

My (6th grades') first TAKS test isn't until April 28 & 29. We don't take retests like 3rd & 5th do, and I am glad.
Anyway, all I am trying to say is, I HATE TAKS.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

You KNOW I'm with you on this!!!
Amen! Maybe when these kids grow up and become legislators some of this craziness will end. I hope so!!

Elementary Counselor said...

Wow. I remember it back when it was TAAS. It was VERY structured like that and ALWAYS on my birthday. haha. Lucky me. :/

jordanandrachel said...

I know it is soo crazy. We had to go through the training to b/c we will be 'hall monitors' that relieve the teachers if they go to the bathroom. I cannot believe how strict it is. But, I think a lot of it is b/c some teacher and kids somewhere along the line weren't being honest-however, that was probably b/c they were SO stressed out a/b their jobs/grades b/c they put WAAAYY too much emphasis on this test. Member how we always had 'achievement tests'? Those were the best-public schools should go to that=) lol
good luck-I hope your kids do awesome!!