Tuesday, March 3, 2009

He Asked. I Said Yes.

Exactly two years ago today, March 3rd, 2007, Casey asked me to marry him.

He had my college roommates trick me into going to Austin, we had dinner, got coffee at our favorite place on the lake, then we went to Mt. Bonnell where there were candles and rose petals all around. He said lots of sweet things that he'd been waiting to say, told me he loved me for the first time, and gave me a ring.

He got on his knee, and asked me to be his wife.

Without hesitation, I said yes.
I stared at that ring, and solemnly vowed to never replace it, upgrade, or alter it. This was going to be the ring I would wear happily, everyday, as long as I live.

I didn't earn this man. I am not worthy of his love.

He didn't come the first time I wished for him. Maybe around the millionth.

He wasn't what I expected, exactly. I didn't have that good of an imagination, obviously. He is WAY better.

Our story is not like a chic flick.

It's more real. It's deeper. It's flawed. It's lasting.

He didn't arrive on the scene at just the moment I got my act together. That would be works driven. He was a gift of grace, despite myself. (I did have to get rid of the WRONG guy I was hanging onto first!)

I remember the euphoria of that night! I can only reflect on God's goodness and His good plans for me, though I am undeserving.

He has good plans for all of us, despite ourselves, and those plans seldom look like what we hope for. They are not always what we expect. They are way better.

Here are a couple pictures from that special night.

Live picture of him placing my gorgeous ring on my finger

Just couldn't hold it in after a while :)My Happily Ever After

Taken the next day--One of my beautiful gifts from him from the night before.

6 comments:

jordanandrachel said...

awwww=) how sweet!! I totally remember that-he did a good job on making it romantic-and surprising you!! I just wish I could have been there=( oh well, I have the pictures on my computer...lol. I'm a loser. I have all my friend's engagement pics on my comp, even if I wasn't there, I just like to document it=) I hope the TAKS test doesn't stress you out! Just think it will be over in a few hours=) Good luck!! and your post was very very sweet=)

Elementary Counselor said...

So sweet! I didn't know that was the first time he said I love you. :)

Casey & Lauren Coats said...

Man, there for a while I didn't know that you were talking about me! I love you very much babe, thanks for being so sweet. I will always have wonderful memories from that night!

Casey

Stephanie said...

Awww! So sweet! Love you guys!

Ginni said...

Cute Lauren! I love your story! And I love your new header, it is way cute! You are going to have to give me tips!

Crystal said...

Very awesome post... I love how real you describe your relationship as being... God is so good, so faithful, and He knows us so much better then we know ourselves!! Praise the Lord for His unending desire to know us and have us know Him!! And I love the new look!!