Sunday, September 20, 2009

There's a Spirit can ne'er be told

It's the Spirit of Aggieland

This past Thursday night, Casey and I were sitting down to dinner when he told me he had a couple of different options in mind for the weekend. He told me we could do what I had suggested earlier and see a movie Friday night and go on the boat on Saturday, or we could drive to College Station on Friday after work and go to the game on Saturday! I was so ecstatic to hear that, I got on the phone right away to one of our old youth kids who is now a freshman at A&M. She found us two sports passes and pulled us tickets the next morning. We only had to pay $25 for Casey's guest sticker and mine was free! Yippee!

We headed out Friday after I got home from work and we took Lucy (our dog) to my mom's house. We ended up leaving Rockwall at 5pm and made it to College Station by 8.

This was my first time back to College Station since my graduation in May, 2008. I was overcome with all sorts of emotion and started crying as we exited Hwy 6 onto University. Casey thought I was a nut case, although he said he understands. He felt the same way his first few times back to Austin after he graduated. We've been back at least a dozen times since then, though. For me it was a little different waiting almost a year and a half to return. I was sad that things had changed (i.e. new Target, new Chickfila, etc), but I was also just so surprised at how much I missed it. College is the good life for sure!!!

Anyway, that night we ate at Layne's - a famous chicken joint on Texas Avenue. I love their toast! Yum! After that, we made our way around the campus, looking at my old dorm, and some of the places where I had class. Then we went to Scott and Erin's house in Bryan where we stayed the night. They are the ones from the previous post - they stayed with us over Labor Day Weekend.

The next morning we slept in, got ready, and went to pick up Janie at 11:30am to get lunch and saw her super cute room at Traditions as well. We took her to her first experience at Gumby’s. Casey and I LOVE Gumby’s pepperoni rolls. They are amazing. When I went to A&M, and Casey would visit, we always went to Gumby’s. Anyway, Janie liked it, too! Success! :)

After lunch, Janie took us to Nick Garcia’s house. He’s a good friend of Casey’s now, but was a senior in the youth group Casey’s first summer at c|Life. He’s a junior now, and he lives the typical guy-in-college life. Too dirty for my liking, but we did get to sign their living room wall- lol.

After that, Casey and I dropped Janie off and then went to a movie! $3.50 is the best you will ever find for a movie ticket. My goodness, I was so excited…I had just forgotten how cheap they are there! The reason is because they sell alcohol at the theaters in College Station and are able to make up money that way. Funny thing is that I’ve never seen anyone with any in the movie! Anyway, we saw the new Jennifer Aniston movie, Love Happens. It was really good actually. I recommend it for sure. Casey like it, too.

After the movie we headed to a couple tent sales where I got Lucy a super cute doggie bandana! It says “Aggie Dog” with a big paw in the middle :) I also got a pink shirt that I had a while back, but it blew off of the boat one day last summer and sank into the lake. It was a sad day. I was glad to buy another of that same shirt – it was one of my favorites back in the day!

After a couple of tent sales we parked and started our trek to Kyle Field – where the magic happens :) We got to the game probably 30 minutes early and enjoyed the fly over during the national anthem. Casey LOVES the fly overs. I will admit…they are pretty cool. We played the Utah State Aggies. I thought that was weird. There are actually a bunch of different Aggies in different states. I feel that we are the ‘true’ Aggies though :) In any case, we did end beating the Utah Aggies 38-30. It was a little scary there at the end, but good nevertheless.

After the game we made our way back to the car and then ate our last College Station meal at Freebirds. Good stuff. Only 3 more burritos until my 10th free one! :)

Here are some pictures from our eventful weekend! :)

I love this picture because they just revealed this 12 foot replica this weekend for ring day! Whoop!

20090919_0001 20090919_0017_1 

20090919_0005

4 jets for the fly over – 1 of them split off to represent lost or fallen soldiers

Famous Aggie Tailgating…

20090919_0001_1    

20090919_0002_1

20090919_0004_1

20090919_0015_1

Meanwhile, Lucy is back home rooting for her Aggies :)

20090920_0005 20090920_0009

3 comments:

~Laura~ said...

Sounded like a fun weekend! I love how there are those really good food places only in college towns!
Btw, I see you are using WLW- I'm soo jealous! Dang Macs! :)

jordanandrachel said...

casey is always just full of wonderful surprising 'get away weekends' good for yall, ENJOY it while you can.

Casey & Lauren Coats said...

I know - College towns DO have the best food. We have certain ones that we go to EVERY time we go to College Station or Austin :)