Thursday, August 13, 2009

2 Doggies Get New Homes: Maddie and Lucy

Part I of the story: Maddie

So, as most of you know, Maddie, our black lab was missing last weekend. She was gone from Saturday to Tuesday. Turns out that some of our neighbors had her in their backyard. To make a long story short, we found her and took her back home with us. That whole incident got us thinking though... We just don't give Maddie enough attention that a lab needs. They are extremely active and need a LOT of attention. This summer we have gone on five different trips to youth camp, mission trip, San Francisco, Austin, and Oklahoma. Being away from such an active dog for that long is just not good. We felt guilty because we knew Maddie needed more attention than that. It was selfish to keep her and not give her the attention and even training that she needed.

So, Wednesday I made an ad for her on Craig's List and got over 10 replies immediately. I kind of sifted through them until I found a guy that would love and train Maddie. He is about 30, single, went to UT (he & Casey had that in common and talked a bit), has had labs before, and is extremely intent on training her. He even told me that she already has appointments with his vet! So, Thursday morning, Bryant showed up and bought Maddie--even though she is a crazy hellion of a dog, he seemed to like her. He said he would send a few emails with updates on how she is doing. He told us some stuff about labs that even we didn't know, and we felt very good about giving Maddie to him. She will have a better home--indoors and with lots of attention!

Part II of the story: Lucy

Now, rewind back to Tuesday when Maddie was still missing. My mom and I went to the Rockwall Animal Shelter to see if Maddie happened to be there. Well, she wasn't there (she was at the neighbors!), but while we were there I fell in love with a beautiful little female dachshund. She is probably 1/4 of some kind of terrier because she has some long hairs on her face, ears, and feet, but not on the rest of her body, so she is not a long-haired dachshund. She is black with tan eyebrows, snout, and feet! :) I found her on Tuesday, but went home without her. Casey got home from work and we went back to see her. He, of course, loved her because he LOVES dachshunds. (It's funny because both of our exes had dachshunds, and we both like them from knowing theirs! My old boyfriend had five short-haired dachshunds and his old girlfriend had two long-haired dachshunds!) Anyway, we left without her because he thinks I would take home all animals from the shelter (and I probably would...I hate that they are there and that they might not get a home!!).

So, that night we found Maddie! We were very excited, but that is also when we talked about giving Maddie a new home. We have talked about it on and off throughout the summer, but I think her being in another home (it seemed like the neighbors wanted to keep her, but they didn't say it) made us think more seriously about it. So, that night we decided to put Maddie up for adoption. The next day I had over 10 replies. That morning I also went back to get little Lucy (after I talked Casey into letting me:) I knew that he would because he LOVES dachshunds, like I said). She was surprisingly still there! So I took her home and she has been great! She seems to be magically house trained already! How in the world that is the case, I don't know. She uses the bathroom outside every time I take her out and she obeys me. She is so calm and will sit in our laps while we watch TV. She also sleeps through the entire night with us! She cuddles up right next to us! It's great and we feel that we have made the best decision for all of us. Maddie has a new owner that will give her all of the attention that she needs, Lucy is out of the animal shelter, and Casey & I have a new dog that fits our lifestyle. She is also starting to get the cat, Ella, to come around. :) She seems to like Ella just fine, but Ella still hisses at her sometimes--although she sniffs her up and down. Ha ha.

Here are a few pictures of our cute, new Lucy:

Her first walk! She did well :)

chillin' on the couch while we watch tv :)
common theme between Ella & Lucy....Lucy sleeps and Ella stares at her. She follows her around the house to make sure she doesn't sneak up on her first, I guess.

another stare off. they have actually gotten a little closer since I took this last night. I caught them running around the living room together this morning. I think they'll end up as friends :)

all conked out :) I am sure there will be many more posts to come with Lucy and Ella. I have taken a bunch of pictures of them chasing each other and "playing." At least, I hope they're playing :)

Also, please keep me in your prayers as I start back to school on Tuesday. Summer has been so good, and it will surely be missed, but hopefully I can get pumped up about school starting soon. I really want to WANT to be there! :) Our first day with kids is Wednesday, the 26th. I will have 3 classes this year instead of 2. I will still be teaching the same 3 subjects: Reading, English, and Social Studies (they separate reading and English on the report cards in 6th grade). So, that means I will be grading more than usual and definitely more than last year. I am already trying to think of ways to save time on grading! If you have any tips let me know!! :) Enjoy the last few remnants of summer! :)

6 comments:

Beverly said...

Ahh... I think Lucy is a better fit. I'll have to come see her soon! (Glad you don't have both dogs!!)

~Laura~ said...

aww cute wittle o puppy! (lol) :)

The Roberts' said...

don't worry, they'll be friends... our cat toby was really not happy with the new crazy puppy that moved in but they love each other now... as in they chase each other around a lot :-)

Perla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Perla said...

aww.. I love your new doggie! so cute. My boyfriend has a dog that looks like yours and is soo cute. I think I love it more than he does. lol

Becky said...

Cute family, Lauren.