Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Seriously?

I know, I know. 2nd post tonight. I have a good reason. I went to Taco Bell a little while ago and had a very annoying experience.

If you know me, you know I like my condiments. Especially mild sauce from Taco Bell.

Well, I went through the drive-thru and everything was going fine until the lady asks me if I would like sauce. Of course I would like sauce! I tell her very politely that I would like "a lot of mild sauce."

Guess how many she gives me.

TWO.

I think, "is she kidding? I got two things....am I supposed to use one package of sauce on each item?" I am sure that there are some of you out there that think one on each item is plenty, but not me. Anyway, I wasn't upset at that. I just waited until she turned around again, and I said, "Ma'am could I have several more mild sauce packets?" She turns around, rolls her eyes, and gives me ONE MORE. At this point I am getting a little frustrated with her. I mean, seriously, what does "a lot" and "several" mean to you?

Disclaimer:
At this point I would like to say that I HAVE worked in fast food. I HAVE worked a very busy drive-thru line. I HAVE had rude customers. I am NOT a rude customer. I do NOT freak out about pickles on my sandwich or fries that are too salty. However, I DO have a problem with employees on a power trip.

I mean, really, are the condiments coming out of your paycheck? NO. Do you have a personal reason for not wanting to give them to me? NO. Admit it, you hate your job and want me to hate it, too. Well, I am sorry that you have to work at Taco Bell for that one year in high school (I did it for three), but really, it isn't my fault, so give me my mild sauce please.

Anyway, back to the story.

I said, "Ma'am, I would REALLY like a LOT of mild sauce. I like to have a lot on my food."

She says, "I'm sorry, I am not supposed to give you more than two."

I say, "You are telling me you are not allowed to give the customer the amount of condiments they want?"

She doesn't say anything. She just kind of stares at me. She doesn't reach for more mild sauce or anything.

I know a lot of you would give up, but I think you are underestimating my love for mild sauce. I pretty much don't like any fast food without that place's condiments. I don't each Chick-fil-a fries without the Polynesian Sauce or the Arby's Melt without the Arby's Sauce. I am the same way with Taco Bell. It REALLY disappoints me when I realize I did not get enough mild sauce when I get home.

So....(don't hate me for this), I asked to talk to her manager.

She leaves without speaking to me.

Fine. I don't care. I am going to get my mild sauce!!!

The manager comes to the window, and I just tell her that I don't want to complain, but I want my mild sauce. I only have three packets and I need like 7 more (at least). She tells me that is fine and gives them to me--no problem.

Is it really Taco Bell's policy to argue with the customer about sauce until they have to ask for the manager just to get a decent amount? Geez.

8 comments:

Beverly said...

I don't think anyone would underestimate your willingness to hang in there. ha, no really. You HAVE to be able to do that with Casey's debating skills, huh.
You got what you wanted. I'm thinking they want the customer happy (AND I'm thinking Casey wants a happy wife!) :)

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
You should contact Taco Bell's home office regarding your experience tonight. (Yum Inc.) I am sure they would not be happy that a franchise is limiting customers on condiments when requested.
One a lighter side, I have a client that works in the home office of Yum Inc who gave me two gift cards to the Yum restaurants today. I was thinking about giving you and Casey one and Steph and Chris one. So are you going back to Taco Bell? If you write Yum Inc. let them know Taco Bueno does not have limits.
Yum Inc has Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, KFC and some others I can't remember.

Anonymous said...

clearly this woman had no idea what she was doing! i can't imagine anyone standing between you and your condiments! lol =)

~Laura~ said...

girl I feel you! I have a major beef with Mcdonald's! LOL! You know me and my mayonnaise! I asked for some and the lady said they didn't have any, which they say ALOT! maybe it was bc I order nuggets she didn't think i needed any, but I do! so I said "you don't have any in the entire store?" she said "no" I was like really?! she goes "well, did you want the kind in the packets?" DUH! what else kind? so she reached up in the bucket and handed me some! what the heck?! Excuse me if this is politically incorrect.. but, if you are going to have people working in the stations where you clearly are going to have to talk to people.. make sure those employees can speak english!! I don't think I have ever seen an employee in the drive thru that spoke good english! As you can see I have a real issue with this Mcdonalds! haha! its the one at Broadway and 30- that should probably speak for itself! LOL! yet, I keep going there bc its the most convenient one! why can't people work like we did!? :)
(this was a really long comment! lol)

Casey & Lauren Coats said...

lauren's comment cracks me up. she truly knows me.

Anonymous said...

that's right, i've seen you eat many a burrito over the years and it's like a packet of mild sauce per bite! haha

Stephanie said...

We have this issue with the Taco Bueno by our house. They just don't get how much we LOVE salsa at our house! I've gotten to the point to where I always tell them how many salsa's I want while I am ordering. Then when I get up to the window, I tell them again. Our Taco Bueno is really bad about leaving things out that you have ordered, so now I also sit there and make sure everything is in my bag until I drive off. Crazy fast food people!

Anonymous said...

lol hey lauren...im at work, randomly reading your blog and i literally just laughed out loud. if anyone knows customer service, its the ex-CFA crew :) hahaha miss you!!!
-Melissa