Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Political Talk

(Disclaimer: If you tend to get really steamed about politics when you don't agree...I would suggest you don't read it or if you are going to anyway, please don't leave me any "hate comments." Ha ha!)

Have you ever felt the Holy Spirit tugging at you when you're listening to someone talk? Have you ever just felt like you're being warned against what they were saying?

That's how I felt tonight while I was watching the presidential debate. In the beginning of this election year, I felt myself agreeing with Obama on several different topics. After listening to him for about a year now, I am beginning to see where I was "smooth-talked" or swayed by his eloquent speech. Tonight McCain said something about how we need to look past Obama's eloquent speech and listen to his words. He is SO right. Obama can really make you agree with him if you're not listening closely.

While I was listening to the debate, I felt myself being stirred. I felt uneasy about the things that Obama said. I really feel like it was the stirring of the Holy Spirit like I talked about before. I have only had that feeling that strongly a few times in my life. It is not just a "bad feeling" that you can sometimes get when you're walking down a dark alley, lol. It is a genuine stirring in your soul, where you know that what is being said is not truth. I felt especially grieved when they began debating abortion. I feel very saddened at the thought of losing millions more unborn babies at the hands of another careless political leader. While this will be my second presidential election to vote in, I feel that it is my first one to lean VERY strongly in one direction. Obama has been said to be perhaps the most liberal member of senate and perhaps the most liberal democrat to run the presidential race.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

go girl

jordanandrachel said...

I agree, I think he's a nice and great person-but I would never want him as president-the thought scares me actually.

Crystal said...

Lauren,
Cody and I sat and talked about that very aspect of Obama last night after the debate... I think you are right on about having a strange discernment (given by the Holy Spirit) about the way he talks... feels very manipulative, I even found myself liking what he was saying last night... but I am so happy that McCain kept bringing to light Obamas smoothe speech! Anyways, I just wanted to affirm you in saying that I agree! Love you woman of God, and I hope that your class is going well!

Elementary Counselor said...

Lauren,
That is exactly how I have been feeling. I have some good Christian friends who have, as I say, "fallen into Obama's trap" I believe that he is an elloquent speaker and can pretty much "convince" people to do ANYTHING (Remind you of Hitler?) I am scared for the future of our country. =/ I really liked when they were talking about abortion and McCain said "We just need to change the values of America."

Wow.

The Roberts' said...

i completely agree with you. back when he started showing up in the primaries, i also felt that same warning in my spirit, that we need to STAY CLEAR... im really scared of where our nation will go if he becomes president.

Anonymous said...

Lots of blogging activity on this topic, huh. You know I feel the same way. God help our nation! Keep listening to the Holy Spirit. I pray we all do.

The Hennagans said...

agree agree agree! thank you for having the courage to blog about something like this! i agree with beverly... i hope more people are open to God's guidance these next few weeks!

jordanandrachel said...

no I meant "drama" as in with the Carl's and that whole thing. B/c I'm pretty sure 'she' will be there....if you know what I mean. And yes we are positively going. We just want to...and if no one shows up (of our friends) we'll prolly just go hang out at Jordan's parents house, b/c they will probably be lonely-seeing as how they certainly won't be going...

Barbara said...

Lauren, I absolutely agree with you.