Monday, December 17, 2012

Dayton's Nursery!

We have finally finished Dayton's nursery!!! I love the way it turned out! It's pretty much exactly how I pictured it :) I wanted to use turquoise and other bright colors with gray and black. I also wanted it to be a "travel theme" so we used cars, trucks, vespas (like a moped), a hot air balloon, a bicycle, a skateboard, maps, road signs, and other car paraphernalia! :) 
Here are a few before shots of some of the furniture and the room before it was cleared out…
The ugly dresser drawers
the room
 
I knew I wanted gray walls, but wanted to do something cool on at least one wall, so I looked endlessly at pictures online to find the right board and batten for the room! Here is a sneak peek of what it looked like after Casey & Charlie put it up, but before it got painted (so that's why it looks dirty - because it is!)
They did a great job! Thanks to Charlie for all the help on this! 
Okay, now for some finished project photos! :)
I ordered the crib from Target, but we redid all of the other furniture! 
I got the glider/ottoman online and painted it and got it reupholstered…and I bought the old table/lamp combo at a garage sale and painted it and added a new shade! :)
{The first picture's coloring is more accurate}
The handmade quilt on the side of the crib is from the Allen ladies - they made one for Sawyer, too, and we love them both!!
The cars pillow and sheet is from Lauren Stevenson from a place called Dwell Studio. Love them!
The mobile is from Carters and the blanket is from Target!
 I love the collage! Casey & I had it laid out on the floor the way we liked for a while, but were too scared to hang it up, so Ginni came over and hung it up for us! It was a lot of help! Casey and I get pretty frustrated with each other when we start hanging pictures…we can never get it just right, haha! Ginni's pretty good at eyeballing something before hammering ;) Thanks friend!! (She also ironed the curtains and wanted to vacuum, but I put a stop there ;) Perfectionist?)
Most of the prints are from Etsy, but the upper left and the upper right are real photographs from a garage sale where the lady took pictures a while back around Dallas! You can see on the left that it's an old sign that says "Speed Limit 5 mph." The orange one is the ferris wheel at the fair that she just changed the color on! :) Also, that's an actual VW hubcap at the bottom that Charlie & Ginni found! The upper blue one on the right is an actual photograph that Casey's parents took in Dayton, TX of the football stadium! Then the remaining ones say "hello world" (under the globe), under the bicycle it says "I would go anywhere with you," there's a watercolor of an old VW van, then a picture of Dayton, OH with the latitude & longitude of the city, and the last one says "Eat Well Travel Often." LOVE them all!!
  The banner is the one that was hanging at my baby shower made out of pages from old children's books!
 I love the "floating books" - they are just clear bookshelves…and we added the skateboard on top--still considering putting the word "books" on it or something, but that's not real original, haha.
I got the lamp base from Target for only $9.99 after selling a lamp I already had for $10…score! ;)
 a close up of the print on the table/lamp--more of the "travel" theme
The cars in the jar were all Casey's from when he was a little boy :)
There's actually one in there that I kept from my 16th birthday…It's a Mustang and my dad tricked me that morning telling me there was a surprise for me in the driveway and I run out the door to find all the cars moved and just this little toy car in the driveway. Funny joke, but mean! Haha. I did get my Mustang 6 months later, so I can't complain ;)
 books given to us at Dayton's shower (and some we already had)
 Vespas (mopeds)
I got an old, ugly dresser at an Estate Sale for cheap! We repainted it turquoise and added new hardware! Casey could not see my vision for this piece when I bought it, but now he loves it ;) And he did all the work on it, so he should! :)
Oh, and all of the drawer space is awesome!!
 I love these hooks from Hobby Lobby…The Ford one on the left is my favorite, but Casey's is the SS 350…I had never heard of that before, but apparently it's a Chevy Super Sport! (Who knew?!)
I love the little dinosaur jacket and cute hat waiting for Dayton :)
 Another old photograph from the lady that took pictures around Dallas…I think it's a Vespa or scooter (not sure which) …and who knows what the Elbow Room is??! Haha. Any guesses on what year that was taken? Or where that location is? I don't know, but it looks old and I know it's somewhere in Dallas.
So there it is! Dayton's nursery debut!! :)
We can't wait to bring him home and let him see the room we prepared just for him :) There is something about decorating a room with a specific baby in mind that is so sweet and special to me. I love both Sawyer & Dayton's rooms and hope they do/will, too! :)

4 comments:

Mitch Coats said...

The Elbow Room is a bar in Dallas on Gaston Avenue not far from Ginni and Charlie.
A Vespa is a brand of scooter. I wish I had two right now, but they are very expensive.
SS 350 is a fast Chevy Chevelle. Of course the SS 396 is even faster. I wish I had one right now. Let's race.

Ginni said...

Love every bit of it and can't wait for Dayton to enjoy it! The pictures were taken by my next door neighbor who is a photographer. She is around our age so I don't think the pics are very old but I think the black & white makes it look old. I need to show here the pics of his room - pretty cool that her photos made the collage! Looks soooo cute!

Jenna Griffin said...

I love this room!! It's absolutely perfect!! I can't wait to see it in person and to meet sweet Dayton!! :)

Jared Phares said...

The Elbow Room is near Baylor Hospital and Deep Ellum on Gaston.

Congrats on your new addition