Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Baby #2: Week 37!

The weeks are ticking by and baby Dayton is already full-term!

Week 37

Baby Changes: Your baby is now considered "full term" even though your due date is 3 weeks away. If you go into labor now his lungs will  likely be mature enough to adjust to life outside the womb. Some babies need a bit more time, though.

Your baby weighs around 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. Don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blondes or red-heads, and fair-headed couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes! And then of course some babies sport on peach fuzz. 

Best moment this week: This has been a fun week! I had my last day at my internship on Friday, pokeno with the girls on Friday night, CG party at Charlie & Ginni's on Saturday night, my doctor appointment on Monday (with some good news!), and then our 4th annual time to go looking at Christmas lights with the Rickersons on Monday night!

Gender: Boy! I still can't wrap my mind around having a boy. I feel like such a girl mom.

Movement: his movement has slowed wayyyy down. I guess there's just not enough room! The doctor told me to count to make sure there are at least 10 different, distinct movements within my first 2 hours of being awake each morning. 

Food Cravings: funny story…I've been craving ice like crazy and that's a sign of anemia (so is low blood pressure and fatigue and I've been having both) so I started taking more of my prenatal vitamins hoping to up my iron. Well, last week my friend Kristin and her family came over for dinner and she saw my gummy prenatal vitamins sitting on the counter. She was like "hey, I use those, too! Did you know they don't have iron in them?" I about freaked out. She showed me on the label where it said they don't contain iron because they are gummy and children may want to eat them (too much iron is really dangerous in children). UGH! So this entire pregnancy I've been anemic and also not taking any iron. The next day I went to the store and got an Iron supplement and have been taking it everyday. I've still been craving ice though…but maybe not as much? It's hard to tell. I'm not worried about how it will affect the baby though because I took the same vitamins my entire pregnancy with Sawyer and she's fine, although I never craved ice with her.

What I am looking forward to: checking things off of my to do list and then just having him!! :)

Symptoms: I have a multitude of "symptoms": acid reflux (it's pretty much a constant companion now), having to use the bathroom religiously (at night & during the day), craving and eating lots of ice, lots of pressure and pain down low.

Doctor's appointment: At my 37 week, 4 day doctor's appointment I was dilated to 3cm already! Woohoo! He wasn't going to examine me at all, but last week I had contractions off and on for several hours and have been cramping this week as well so he decided to go ahead and check, and sure enough progress had been made! My blood pressure was 127/74 (again the highest it's ever been, but still considered good and low). Dayton's heart rate was 130, so that's slowed down some. I had gained 2 pounds in 1 week, now weighing 144 lbs total. I have only gained 26 pounds so far this pregnancy which astounds me since I gained 33 with Sawyer and I'm only 5 days out from when I had her at this point. (I started at 115 with her and got to about 148). I started off 3 pounds heavier this pregnancy, but it looks like I might end it lighter! That would be nice! I already have some plans for losing this baby weight quick (breastfeeding + running/lifting = a winning combination!).

TO DO:

  1. finish Christmas shopping (only have a FEW items left to get)
  2. wrap remainder of Christmas presents
  3. write my last couple of thank you cards (I didn't write thank you cards with Sawyer until after she was born, ha!)
  4. hang the bookshelves in the nursery when they arrive
  5. pack my hospital bag
  6. wrap/pack a few presents for Sawyer to give to her while we are in the hospital
  7. finish up my school work (have 2 papers due today at 4:30pm on 12/12/12)
  8. take my defensive driving paperwork to the courthouse as soon as it arrives in the mail
  9. wash Dayton's newborn clothes
  10. charge the video camera/camera
  11. write in Dayton's baby book
  12. get both cars washed/cleaned out
  13. install car seat base/infant car seat (this is so much easier now that I've done it before…last time it seemed like SUCH a task, haha!)
I'm pretty much done with all things major…his room is complete (minus the bookshelves). His pack-n-play napper/bassinet is put together and next to me in our bedroom (thanks to Casey!), the pets are in new homes, and I'm not nearly as concerned about having all his clothes washed in "baby-safe detergent." Things are just simpler the second time around and I feel more relaxed (besides being nervous about having 2 kids under 20 months!) ;)


Here is my 37 week picture! Last time I wore this with Sawyer at 38 weeks so you can kind of compare HERE :)
It won't be too much longer now!! :)

No comments: