Saturday, July 7, 2012

Baby #2: Weeks 14 & 15

I think it's safe to say that I'm already not as good at blogging this pregnancy as I was with Sawyer's. I don't intend to put up the picture a week on Facebook this go around, but I do want to blog about it because already this pregnancy is a lot different and I want to remember the differences. :) My last post left off around June 7th… so I have about a month of catching up to do. :)


So here we go! Let's just dive right in!


My first sonogram/doctor's appointment was on May 15th and the baby was measuring about 4 weeks, 4 days. I weighed only 3 lbs more (at 118) than I did at my first appointment with Sawyer (115), so I was pretty happy with that. I lost a few pounds before this appointment due to some awful morning sickness and several weeks of nausea and fatigue. I never got back to my pre-baby weight after having Sawyer, so this was as close as I'd gotten. Already have some goals in the works for after this baby in order to get back to my pre-baby #1 & #2 weight. :) I know it will be harder since it's 2 babies combined…haha. At this appointment the baby's heartbeat was 150. 


My second doctor's appointment was June 12th and baby was 11 weeks, 5 days. I weighed a pound less than the last week so still losing weight (at 117 at this point). I didn't have a sonogram, but the baby's heartbeat sounded good. At first Dr. P was having some trouble finding it and I was freaking out just a little, but then I heard it good and strong and felt better. :) I forgot to ask what the heart rate was at this appointment. :(


Those are the only 2 appointments I've had so far other than blood work appointments (which I despise by the way). 


On July 6th at 15 weeks, 1 day, Casey felt the baby move! I know, sounds crazy, but he and I will both tell you it's true. I had just laid down in bed and knew that I was feeling some pretty big movement, so I  put his hand over the spot and sure enough he felt the baby move several times! We were pretty impressed because with Sawyer I didn't even feel her move til 15 weeks and Casey didn't feel her move til 20 weeks. Everything is just earlier the second time around. I know way better what it feels like and so does he. It helps that this baby seems to be a pretty good little kicker. 


Week 14 - this is my first week to take a belly picture so I figured I'd start here with my "weekly" updates…
Size: almost 3 1/2 inches and weighs nearly 1 1/2 ounces


Baby Changes: Baby#2 can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possibly suck his/her thumb! Thanks to brain impulses, his facial muscles are getting a workout as his tiny features form one expression after another. His kidneys are producing urine, which he releases into the amniotic fluid around him — a process he'll keep up until birth. He can grasp, too, and if you're having an ultrasound now, you may even catch him sucking his thumb.

In other news: 
His body's growing faster than his head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck. By the end of this week, his arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of his body. (His legs still have some lengthening to do.) He's starting to develop an ultra-fine, downy covering of hair, called lanugo, all over his body. Your baby's liver starts making bile this week — a sign that it's doing its job right — and his spleen starts helping in the production of red blood cells. Though you can't feel his tiny punches and kicks yet, your little pugilist's hands and feet (which now measure about 1/2 inch long) are more flexible and active.


Best Moment this Week: Casey & I got to go on a special date to the Rangers game! It was a full night out with a babysitter for Sawyer. We had good seats in the shade, saw their newest pitcher pitch a great game, the Rangers won, and there was an awesome fireworks show afterward! :)

Gender: don't know yet, but we kind of "think" it's a boy…would be so thrilled to have sisters or one of each!

Movement: I have felt some tiny movements for a couple weeks. Most people don't believe me, but I'm telling you it's true. They are down low and feel like a tiny baby…haha. And I only feel them when I am laying down. 

Food Craving: nothing crazy…for a long time I didn't want to eat at all so just liking food is a good thing now. :) I need to eat often and can't eat a lot at a time. I get full more quickly and I don't remember that being the case this early last time. 

Sleep: I sleep well but get up once a night about 3-4 times a week to potty. :) If I don't then I definitely wake up early in the morning to do so. :)

What I am looking forward to: finding out baby's gender!!!

Pregnant belly: haven't started wearing maternity clothes yet, but am having to do the ponytail holder through the button hole trick on some pants/shorts. :)

First baby bump pic! Too bad the edge of my belly blends end with the dark hallway. 

Week 15
Size: almost 4 inches, weighs 2 1/2 ounces


Baby Changes: Baby#2 is busy moving amniotic fluid through the nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in his/her lungs begin to develop. The baby's legs are growing longer than his arms now, and he can move all of his joints and limbs. Although the eyelids are still fused shut, he can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, he's likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but he/she is forming taste buds. Finally, if you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby's a boy or a girl!

Best Moment this Week: Casey felt the baby move on July 6th! Very fun.

Gender: don't know yet, but we kind of "think" it's a boy…would be so thrilled to have sisters or one of each!
Movement: I have felt some tiny movements for a couple weeks. Most people don't believe me, but I'm telling you it's true. They are down low and feel like a tiny baby…haha. And I only feel them when I am laying down. And now Casey can back me up and say it's true!

Food Craving: nothing crazy…for a long time I didn't want to eat at all so just liking food is a good thing now. :) I need to eat often and can't eat a lot at a time. I get full more quickly and I don't remember that being the case this early last time. 

Sleep: I sleep well but get up once a night about 3-4 times a week to potty. :) If I don't then I definitely wake up early in the morning to do so. :)

What I am looking forward to: finding out baby's gender!!!

Pregnant belly: just busted out my maternity clothes for the first time, and I bought my first pair of maternity shorts! Did not need shorts last time, but will this time. Lucky for me the weather will cool off before I get big & miserable. ;)
Sawyer wanted in on the picture;)

No comments: