Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mean Teacher

I was a mean teacher today.

The second class drove me nuts.

Please don't tell my principal.


I thought I would give them a "fun" project. I have been teaching them about the plot, conflict, climax, and resolution of a story. I showed them a cartoon and told them that they could write and draw their own cartoon using all of the elements. I had special instructions that I repeated about 5 times.


Seriously.

5 times.

I am not exaggerating.


But still, after 5 times, I had about 10 students come up to me asking the same questions over and over. I almost lost it on them. Instead, I calmly told them to sit down. I asked them if they would like it if a 52 people came up to them and asked the SAME question.


52 times.


Of course they all said "no." I told them that I had 52 students and it gets old having the same questions asked 52 times, especially when I have already told the entire class 5 times.


I asked them if they thought it was fair for me to get "chewed out" by their parents when they received zeroes on progress reports for simply not turning in their assignments.


Not turning in their assignments because they, for whatever reason, didn't follow instructions.


Didn't do it.

Or my favorite, did it, but didn't turn it in.

Of course they all said "no" to that as well.

So, I gave them an ultimatum.


I told them that recess is an "extra" in the 6th grade, and from now, if people ask me to repeat simple instructions (not related to content), they would sit out in recess and write the instructions I had given. That way they could remember them.


See, I told you I was a mean teacher.

_________________________________________

Now something on a lighter note!

Here is a picture of Casey & I from the Cowboy game we went to a few weeks ago. It was a lot of fun, and of course the Cowboys won! Don't they always?


3 comments:

jordanandrachel said...

Lauren,
you are funny=) I understand your frustrations.I know some teachers at our school that if the kid doesn't turn in their homework, she makes them stay inside and DO the homework during recess....and she takes off points of course for it being late or what not. So-do you have 52 students at one time all day? or do they move around like we used to in 6th grade? just wondering. this week has been awful for me-i've been so sick...and our principals have started doing "walk throughs" this week so that's been "extra special". ugh.
well hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Lauren. Gig'em. Remember your students will live up to your expectations. The higher your expectations, the higher they will perform. It may take a while but you will get them there.
On a lighter note, I am glad you weren't teaching when I was in the 6th grade. Homework, not going to happen! Why ask for instructions if you are not going to do the assignment. Of course I graduated in to top 300 of 375 in high school. You get out of something what you put into it. Hang in there.
Mitcho

Beverly said...

Teehee, again.
Believe me, I feel your pain!! I used to have center time in 3rd grade and those who did not turn in assignments were in "jail". That meant they had a 3 x 5 card in a little recipe box with their name and the assignments they had not turned in. They were NOT allowed to do the free, fun stuff or centers until those outstanding assignments were turned in. Also, when parents would say, "Well, they did it. I saw them doing it last night and I know it was in the backpack." I told them that I would NOT dig into the backpack and get it out and turn it in for the child. I was a mean teacher too! They had to learn to be responsible, even in 3rd grade. Parents might as well learn this too. Everyone is better off in the longrun and I'm trying to prepare the child for life. Maybe you can get some other ideas from other teachers there too.