Monday, August 4, 2008

What's Happening To Me?!

I have always been a night owl. I like to stay up late and play on the computer, read a book, scrapbook, watch TV, or sometimes even clean. Casey always knew I could stay up late, but I don't think it really sank in until we got married. During student teaching this wasn't really a problem because I was so darn tired that I went to bed early every night, but when April 11th (the end of my student teaching) hit-BAM! The Night Owl was back. Casey began to complain about this. He was still stuck in our old routine of going to bed at 10pm, but I didn't understand because he doesn't have to be at work 'til 9am. The whole reason we had been going to bed so early is because I had to be up by 6:45 or so. For a long time Casey kept going to bed at 10 and I would stay up 'til 2. Neither of us really liked this. He wanted me to go to bed at 10, and I wanted him to stay up with me 'til 2. Ha ha. When summer began he snapped out of it and wanted to stay up later...I don't really understand this logic though, because he still has to be at work at 9 everyday. What is it about summer that makes people go to bed later? And why couldn't he let his summer start on April 11th, when mine did? Wouldn't that be better anyway because by the time August hits, you feel like you've had the longest summer ever!

I also have another gift. I am able to sleep till mid-afternoon. I know, it really is a gift. Sometimes I can sleep for 11 or 12 hours without waking up. Some people are truly mesmerized by this gift. They cannot comprehend it. That is why I call it a gift. :)

But something has been happening lately. I have been feeling more and more tired earlier and earlier. Maybe it is because my body knows that in less than two weeks, I am going to have to start getting up with the sun again. I have also been waking up earlier. I have been getting up well before noon, and it is scary. Am I growing up? Are my college habits dying? It is sad, really. I have always enjoyed the fact that I can sleep in when I want to. Other people talk about waking up at 8am and not being able to go back to sleep even when they try. I am not jealous of those people. I am sad for them.

Maybe this is just a phase I am going through. Maybe it really is because the school year is approaching...I am just hoping that when next summer rolls around, I can still sleep in 'til 1pm if I want to! :)

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

You married a Coats, and we LOVE sleep! I have always liked going to bed fairly early just like Casey! The thing is, I always liked to go to bed early and then I would still sleep until noon. I had the gift too! I would sleep late until I had Caleb. Now my body is all thrown off. Even when I try to sleep late, I still wake up around 9. I would LOVE to sleep until noon on the days that Chris takes Caleb downstairs so I can sleep, but I just can't do it. Very frustrating!

Unknown said...

Girl...this is me every summer! It's okay and perfectly normal! Love ya!

pmcdill said...

Lauren,
I must say, you are a really good writer. As lame as these posts are, I find myself intrigued. lol....jk