Tuesday, November 8, 2011

We're finally helmet free!!!

Sawyer had her discharge appointment yesterday and is now done with the Star Band (helmet)! I was so excited and Casey even went with us to the appointment. They did a final scan and showed us her positive results. She grew so fast which really benefited her head since it took the helmet's shape so quickly! Many older babies have slower growth and therefore where the helmet a lot longer. Sawyer wore it exactly 2 months and 3 weeks. And if you know me well, then you noticed that she wasn't wearing it very much during the day or in the last few weeks. We pretty much took it off if I wanted her to wear a bow ;) Casey is definitely the "helmet enforcer" as I liked her to wear it at home and during sleep…not so much to church where it clashed with her pretty dresses. ;) Luckily it was pink, and since she wears a lot of pink I didn't mind…sometimes. :) But mainly it just felt like a barrier between us. I like to cuddle and kiss that soft head of hers - not that plastic helmet! So I'm so glad she's out of it, but I would not change putting her in it! Her head is soooo much better.
See? Don't you see a big difference??
 The red lines were from her first scan and the blue lines were from her scan yesterday. 
You can tell where they held her head in (above the ears) and wanted her head to grow (the back left and the front right). So, before her head was wider than it was long, and they held the width and grew her length. Wow, I am so pleased! :)
Thanks Star Cranial! :)

1 comment:

onenita said...

Thank you for your blogs on plagiocephaly and the star band! Makes me feel so much better about the possibility of my 6 month old son needing the helmet. Sawyer is so beautiful!