Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Awkward Turtle...

In class today a kid was reading at his desk (let's call him Daniel), and then all the sudden sat up and blurted out, "Mrs. Coats, what's a virgin?" I sat there awkwardly for half a second while a couple of the other students laughed. It was obvious that only a few of them knew what it meant. I was a little caught off-guard because these are the same students that sometimes say really crude things and know some really crude gestures (they are 12 afterall), so I was naturally a little surprised that they didn't know the word virgin. However, I was also a happy to hear that they have some innocence and naivety left.

Anyway, before I could say anything, one of the other boys (let's call him Justin) says, "I'll tell him!" and he runs over there and whispers into his ear, but still so loudly that we could all still hear him. "It's a person that hasn't had sex." Well, at least he got it right. I didn't want to have to correct him, haha. Daniel's face got REALLY red and he put his head back down on his desk to continue reading. I asked him why he had suddenly asked that question. He said it was in the book he was reading, which was Twilight. I thought for a minute and really couldn't remember that part. I went over to him and asked to see it in the book. I literally laughed out loud for a moment.

The word was "aversion."

Say it out loud to yourself and you will see why I and half the class laughed a little. It definitely sounds the same.

Super hilarious and also a teachable moment. I wrote aversion on the board and told them what it meant. Not nearly as awkward :)

3 comments:

Beverly said...

That is an absolute hoot! I laughed out loud! That's the kind of stuff I miss! Great story!

Jenna Griffin said...

Oh my goodness, this story is absolutely hilarious! I laughed out loud too! Kids say the darnedest things.... :)

jordanandrachel said...

ok that is funny!!! i am glad i have little 5-10 year olds so hopefully that question won't come up any time soon=) lol