Tuesday, July 29, 2008

When We Cook Together

Casey and I have been trying out new recipes for dinner. We have such good intentions, but lately they have been turning out more humorous than tasty!

Last night we tried to make Chicken Fried Rice...well, that's what we ended up making anyway. It all started when I pulled out the Teriyaki Sauce and said "Let's make Teriyaki Chicken!" He googled it and we started to make what the recipe said...well, it turns out that Casey took what I said and completely mistranslated it into Chicken Fried Rice...so we made Chicken Fried Rice, but not without several mistakes. First of all, for all of you cooks out there, please don't laugh at me when I tell you this...but I have never made fried rice before and did not know that you still had to boil the rice before frying it. So, in all my cooking knowledge, I poured oil in the wok and then poured in the uncooked rice. Two cups of it. Casey immediately tells me I'm crazy and we have to pour the whole thing out. Good thing rice is cheap! Anyway, besides that, we had wayyy too much rice and not nearly enough chicken by the time it was all said and done.

Then, tonight, Casey calls me as I am on my way home and says, "Hey, we got the Kroger ad in the mail and ribs are on sale!" So, he goes to the store and buys a rack of ribs and two baked potatoes. Well, this is another new recipe for our household. I know what you're thinking, "this is the first time you've had baked potatoes, and you've been married 7 months?!" Well, you're right. We've bought potatoes before, but they didn't last as long in the pantry as suspected. :) So, tonight, with both of us being verrry hungry, I decide to speed up the potato baking part by sticking them in the microwave for a bit. I had seen my mom doing this and knew it was okay. Then I put them in the oven for like 30-45 minutes. I squeezed them to see if they had softened and they had, so I took them out. Meanwhile, Casey is out on the grill working on the ribs. This was my first time to have ribs, so I was pretty excited about it all. Well, we sit down to eat what looks like a delicious meal and discover that it wasn't all that delicious. Don't get me wrong, it all still tasted good enough, but you could definitely tell it was our first crack at things! Ha ha. The potatoes were still hard on the inside, and the ribs were pretty burned and a little fatty. Nonetheless, just like the night before, we ate it all with a smile...because when we cook together we have no one to blame! :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

So funny! Y'all are making good cooking memories!