Sunday, February 26, 2012

Facebook Hiatus


My phone sometimes gets in the way of life. 

So, from February 22-April 8 I am abstaining from Facebook. This will greatly lessen the time spent on my phone (and computer). I typically get on my phone at home, work, school, red lights, out to eat with friends and family, while waiting in doctor's offices, etc. etc. etc. Some of those places are appropriate places to play with your phone, but most are not. I realize this. I didn't realize it recently. I've always known it.

That's why I'm staying off of Facebook a while. Facebook is definitely the #1 app I use on my phone at most of the places listed above. Sure, I make phone calls, text, play games, and use Instagram, but not anywhere near as much as I check Facebook. Even if I'm not adding anything about myself I check the news feed compulsively. It's kind of ridiculous. 

What's more ridiculous is that I really miss Facebook. It's only been 5 days! I still have many weeks to go. Are you kidding me?? How am I going to make it if I already miss it? Kind of crazy. There have been many times already where I think of something that I'd like to put up as a status. It was absolutely killing me to not be able to put pictures of Sawyer & Casey on my Facebook from their daddy-daughter dance at church. I will certainly have to blog about that, by the way. And the other night, Sawyer pulled up in her crib and I was dying to put it on Facebook. I even kind of "cheated" and put it on Instagram as a screen shot so that my 50 or so friends on their could see what she did. And they called me out on my cheating, too. Haha. 

What did we do before cell phones and Facebook??? I can hardly remember. I knew my friends well and no one else. Now I can tell you what a girl I sat next to in one class at A&M had for dinner the other night. That's pretty crazy. I don't even really know her. Isn't that kind of weird?

Anyway, I'm hoping that my 7 week hiatus from Facebook will help me to really be present when I'm at home, work, school, driving, and spending time with friends or family. I'll admit that even I've been annoyed with me when I'm on my phone at dinner with friends. That's what the picture at the top is all about -- 6 friends that went to dinner and left their phones on the table the entire time. They lit up and beeped and all that, but no one looked at their phone until we all got up to leave. Thank goodness someone was actually wearing a watch (who does that anymore? Ha, just kidding). 

Wish me luck, friends. Most of you that know me well know that I love me some Facebook. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So who were you with at dinner when everyone put their phones in a pile? I like that idea a lot! I remember before I got my iphone I would be sitting at the table for Pokeno or something like that and everyone would be on their iphone except me. haha. Now I'm one of those people but I don't like it! Good thing I'm going sans Facebook for a while too. :)

Stephen and Kristen Dirks said...

Facebook and media in general is SO addicting. how often are we at home and instantly turn on a TV or computer.. it's quite sad. proud of you though for letting it go. i'm excited at the thought of being detached for 3 months :) of course i'll be emailing when i can but for the most part that's all the communication i will have. keep it up.

Casey & Lauren Coats said...

Lauren, we were with Laura & Phillip and Charlie & Ginni! It really is a good idea.

Kristin, It will be kind of neat for you to be "detached" for a while. I really enjoyed it when I was in Europe.